Center for Wildlife Studies
We are at a pivotal moment for our organization. Our BiodiversityWorks has an unexpected opportunity to purchase the building and 1.6 acres where we have been renting space for the past seven years. The Nature Conservancy has offered to sell us the property at 18 Helen Avenue in Vineyard Haven for just $350,000. The property and structure have an assessed value of $489,000 and a much higher fair market value, so this is a bargain sale and an amazing opportunity. Our 2019/20 capital campaign will underwrite a secure and exciting future.
We must raise $375,000 by January 15, 2020 for the initial purchase. The Nature Conservancy is taking care of needed maintenance and cleaning in order to sell us a healthy and safe office building we can occupy while we work to raise another $250,000 to cover the renovation and/or rebuilding needed to create the lab and meeting space BiodiversityWorks needs. As of November 5th, we have raised $192,400 in gifts, grants, and pledges.
Wildlife conservation requires long-term dedication and so does becoming a mentor to a teen or college student. We are committed to our mission, however, we need a permanent center for our work. Rental spaces are very difficult to find for an organization needing office and lab space as well as outdoor storage for equipment. This is a one-time opportunity to own property for our operations at a bargain sale price.
In our center, we envision…
• Dynamic office and meeting areas to conduct wildlife research and monitoring, and train the next generation of conservation professionals.
• A laboratory to enhance our ability to track and analyze wildlife behavior, diet and conditions.
• An environmentally responsible and sustainable facility.
• Efficient space to meet and videoconference with partners including landowners, interns, volunteers and scientific peers.
• Storage for field equipment used to study and protect wildlife across the Island.
• Office rental units to offset costs and promote collaboration with other Island non-profits.
Please visit our Ways to Donate page to learn about your options for contributing to our capital campaign today.
Thank you, for your support!